Categories
Travel News

Trump lost the 2020 election. He has raised $ 207.5 million since.

Even in defeat, President Trump continued to fundraise at one of the fastest rates of the year, raising $ 207.5 million in the month since election day with the Republican Party as he ‘he was making baseless allegations of electoral fraud to undermine the legitimacy of the election. .

Mr. Trump’s campaign apparatus has continued to aggressively solicit donations under the guise of supporting his various legal challenges to the election of Joseph R. Biden Jr., but to date 75% of donations go to a new political action committee that Mr. Trump formed in mid-November, up to the CAP’s legal limit of $ 5,000. The remaining 25 percent goes to the Republican National Committee. It is only if a donor gives more than $ 6,000 that the funds go into Mr. Trump’s official “recount” account.

His campaign did not disclose the breakdown of the $ 207.5 million. The funds are split between the new PAC, called Save America, the RNC, and two committees run jointly by the party and the campaign, with money also going to pay off Mr. Trump’s election debts.

“These huge fundraising figures show that President Trump remains the leader and the powerhouse of the Republican Party,” Bill Stepien, Mr. Trump’s campaign manager, said in a statement.

Mr Trump, who has not officially conceded the 2020 race but has started talking about running again in 2024, has repeatedly challenged the presidential results in court with virtually no success.

In his statement, Mr. Stepien added that the money also “positions President Trump to continue to lead the fight to clean up our corrupt electoral process in many parts of the country and to build on the gains of the 2020 election. so we can get back on top. House and rely on our majority in the Senate in 2022. “

Mr. Trump’s next political steps are widely discussed in both sides, and his uninterrupted fundraising in the month following his loss at the polls ensures that his new political operation – in whatever form – will continue to be well funded. . He can use the new PAC to hire staff and pay for political travel, like his Saturday rally in Georgia, where two Jan. 5 polls will determine control of the US Senate.

Some of Mr. Trump’s fundraising solicitations have strayed from simply challenging the November election results. His campaign, for example, offered donors who gave $ 45 on Thursday an “iconic” Christmas ornament (it features a photo of Mr. Trump, in a red hat, and the words “We say Merry Christmas again!” ).

The announcement that he had raised $ 207.5 million in one month came on the last filing deadline for the 2020 race with the Federal Election Commission, which covers the period October 15 to November 23. During that time, the RNC, Mr. Trump’s campaign and their joint committees raised $ 495 million, campaign officials said.

By early evening, only the RNC had filed its report, which showed it ended the period with $ 58.8 million in cash – a significant sum for a party at the end of a campaign. While Mr. Trump disputed the results in several places, the party had spent more than $ 6 million on legal bills, including $ 1.4 million for law firm Jones Day, $ 1.3 million for King & Spalding and over $ 920,000 for Consovoy McCarthy.

The party’s biggest expense was $ 42.4 million for a limited liability company, Digital Consulting Group, with a limited public footprint. The party made its third payment of $ 666,666 to Reuters News & Media Inc. for intellectual property “lawsuits”, totaling $ 2 million which the party and the company previously refused to discuss.

The deposits also showed that casino mogul Sheldon Adelson and his wife, Miriam Adelson, spent nearly $ 210 million for the 2020 election, including $ 90 million for a pro-Trump super PAC, $ 70 million for a Senate super PAC and $ 40 million for a House Republican super PAC, plus millions more on various committees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *