Categories
Travel News

Manhunt in Colorado after remains of 3 people are found

A manhunt was underway in Colorado on Wednesday after authorities recently discovered the skeletal remains of three people in a small rural town near the New Mexico border.

A homicide warrant has been issued for Adre Jordan Baroz, 26, after investigators said they found the remains on two properties near Los Sauces in Conejos County, Colorado.

Authorities did not say how they linked Mr. Baroz to the remains, but said residents of the community knew Mr. Baroz by his nickname, Pyscho.

Law enforcement officials warned it was dangerous and said the discovery of the remains had deeply disturbed residents of the county, a mountainous area of ​​ranches and farmland that is home to around 8,000 residents.

Credit…Colorado Bureau of Investigation, via Associated Press

“Obviously, we don’t see cases like this very often,” said Ken Anderson, the police chief in Alamosa, Colo., In a virtual press conference Wednesday with officials from several others. local law enforcement agencies as well as Colorado. Investigation office.

“It’s a very close-knit community,” said Chief Anderson. “We really know a lot of people here. Most of us grew up here. So now we’re at a point where it’s imperative to get that person off the street. When I say he is a danger to the community, I mean exactly that – he is a danger.

Officials said they discovered the first skeletal remains on November 10 after they went to a property near Los Sauces to execute a search warrant for stolen vehicles and equipment. The discovery led them to further remains on a nearby property on November 13.

Officials declined to describe the properties, but said they did not belong to Mr Baroz, who is from Sanford, Colo.

George Dingfelder, the police chief for Monte Vista, Colorado, said a forensic anthropologist had confirmed the remains were human. But authorities said they did not know how the people died, how old they were, their gender or how long the remains had been on the properties.

Chief Dingfelder said identifying victims could take weeks or months.

The authorities refused to describe the evidence that led them to obtain an arrest warrant against Mr. Baroz. But law enforcement officials said they had set up a hotline for advice and formed a task force to help investigate the case.

“Our department is just not big enough to handle what we come across,” Conejos County Sheriff Garth Crowther said at the press conference. He said the discovery of the remains was “kind of a shock here.”

People are “worried,” Sheriff Crowther said. “They have to be careful and careful.”

Los Sauces is home to about 25 people and has no businesses and only one road leading there, according to Larry W. Crowder, the state senator who represents the area. “It’s a small, tight-knit farming community,” he says.

The manhunt was focused on southern Colorado but could expand, depending on the investigation, according to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Chief Dingfelder stressed that the remains were not necessarily linked to a number of missing person cases in the San Luis Valley.

“The mere fact that human remains have been found we do not associate with missing persons cases at this time,” he said, “and for any to do so would be irresponsible and complete speculation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *