Most Americans Will Not Visit Family Members On Vacation, Survey Finds

Oct 23, 2020 Impacting Travel

Most Americans Will Not Visit Family Members On Vacation, Survey Finds

Travelocity has released the results of its recent ‘2020 Holiday Travel Outlook’ survey, which indicates that nearly 60 percent of Americans will not be returning home on vacation this year. Among those who said they will not travel to see family and friends this holiday season, one in three reported that they do not plan to celebrate the holidays at all.

Sad as it may sound, and somewhat surprising, it doesn’t necessarily mean they plan to stay home this winter. One in four Americans surveyed said they had planned a personal vacation before the end of the year, and 45 percent of families with children under the age of 18 are planning pleasure trips by the end of this year.


“It’s going to be a non-traditional holiday season this year, so families are preparing to make the most of it by planning a vacation away from home and using their vacation days to travel,” said Travelocity General Manager Katie Junod. “Our survey found that 80 percent of travelers who have taken a trip since the onset of COVID-19 rated their experience as excellent or good, and that gives them the confidence to plan the next vacation at a time when they need to a break -Home, school and work. “

Being a trend now

“Two-thirds of those surveyed said they have been able to travel to see friends and family since COVID-19 started, and nearly half say they are feeling happy and calm about the upcoming Christmas season,” Junod revealed.

Vacation Travel Outlook:

The survey showed that those still planning to travel during the 2020 Christmas season are making things better. Nearly two-thirds of those surveyed who will be traveling during the Thanksgiving and December holidays said they had already booked their lodging and transportation for those trips. Another 20 percent said they will book their vacation trips for the month of October.

Based on its survey results and demand data, Travelocity anticipates the following 2020 vacation travel trends:

Hotels Ranches: More travelers (43 percent) plan to stay in a hotel or rented accommodation this year, with hotels leading slightly in terms of popularity.

Road trips: Nearly 80 percent of those surveyed said they plan to drive to their vacation destinations, while the remaining 20 percent said they will fly.

Long weekends: More than half (53 percent) of vacation travelers plan to take advantage of long weekends, planning stays of one to four days, rather than hiking for day trips.

Closer to home: Two-thirds of vacation goers said they will keep their trips within 250 miles of home this year.

The Travelocity 2020 Holiday Outlook online survey was conducted September 18-21, 2020, among a sample group of 1,016 American adults.